Sunday, November 30, 2008

Rune Study: Berkana


Berkana #18 - The Goddess Urd

As happens so many times with me, I selected this rune out of the blue to name my new DeathKnight gnome in World of Warcraft. I didn't have my study guide handy and didn't really read about this rune until later. I made the character a gnome with long white-gray hair and a couple of days after I made it, Blizzard gave everyone a cute little polar bear companion to commemorate their fourth anniversary. Also, DeathKnight are warriors that the Lich King has brought back to life (rebirth). One of the first areas she will play in is called "Tyr's Hand."

Berkana is the 18th rune and symbolizes the goddess Urd and belongs to the God Tyr. Urd is the oldest of the three Norn sisters and has long, white hair. Her totems are the polar bear and the swan. The meaning of the rune is growth or rebirth, and enterprise. Her tree is the birch and her color is yellow.

Spooky huh?

Upright meaning: Family or a member of the family. Motherhood, news of a birth or rebirth.
Reversed: Upset or quarrel with a family member. Anxiety.

No comments: