Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Road to Woodstock


The Road to Woodstock by Michael Lang

Has it really been 40 years? Woodstock Music & Art Festival happened in 1969 in Bethel, NY. I wasn't there, unfortunately, but watched the movie like all good flower children who were unable to attend in person. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young's recording of the song by Joni Mitchell is still among my all time favorite songs and I really wish I could have heard Jimi Hendrix play live the "Star Spangled Banner", a song which often moves me to tears. This book was written by Michael Lang, the then 25 year old that was one of the main organizers and producers of the festival billed as "An Aquarian Explosition: Three Days of Peace and Music." Oddly enough and unknown to me till after the fact, I began reading this book on August 15th, the date in 1969 that Woodstock began. I call it a great way to remember a unique, unrepeated day in history. I often wonder how the ideals of that generation - love, peace, sharing - got us where we are now, a country of greedy, selfish jerks who care only for how much money one can accumulate by whatever means necessary.

No comments: