Monday, April 29, 2013

Dead Ever After


Southern Vampire series #13: Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris


From Amazon:

THE FINAL SOOKIE STACKHOUSE NOVEL 

There are secrets in the town of Bon Temps, ones that threaten those closest to Sookie—and could destroy her heart....

Sookie Stackhouse  finds it easy to turn down the request of former barmaid Arlene when she wants her job back at Merlotte’s. After all, Arlene tried to have Sookie killed. But her relationship with Eric Northman is not so clear cut. He and his vampires are keeping their distance…and a cold silence. And when Sookie learns the reason why, she is devastated.

Then a shocking murder rocks Bon Temps, and Sookie is arrested for the crime.

But the evidence against Sookie is weak, and she makes bail. Investigating the killing, she’ll learn that what passes for truth in Bon Temps is only a convenient lie. What passes for justice is more spilled blood. And what passes for love is never enough…


My Review:
I usually dislike series that go on and on and on, but in this case, I'm sorry to see it end. This series was my first introduction to paranormal light reading and I was hooked on the first book. Sookie's life didn't turn out like I expected, but life usually doesn't. I am glad there is a bit of closure with all Bon Temps main characters. I know there is a real closure book planned for later this year for more of the characters and I am glad. 

I wish the TV shows hadn't strayed so far from the original story line (except where Lafayette is concerned - I love that character, lol). The books were good material to start with and there was no need to change so much, but it's HBO, whose motto seems to bring on the shocking nasty. I've just about quit watching or caring that the series was supposedly based on the book series.

No comments: