Monday, December 31, 2018

My Year in Books 2018

I had set a goal of 200 books this year and fell short. I only read 192. Too much binge Netflix watching! I set my goal at 150 for 2019. Hope I can make that!

The Numbers:

Pages: 53,390 (approximately)
E-books: 28
Print books:  11
Audiobooks:  153

Again, the big winner was audiobooks. My favorite book of the year was another re-read of "Ready Player One". I love the book and the movie came out this year, so of course I had to re-read it again. Another re-read of a favorite, "Good Omens" by  Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett. I can't wait for the new TV series from this one. I hope it is as good as the book.

A new book I really liked was "Eliza and Her Monsters" by Francesca Zappia.

A new series for me that really stood out was a series of poems by Amanda Lovelace, "Women are Some Kind of Magic". I read two books in this series and I hope there are more to come.


Favorite Reads of 2018

Series:
I continued several series this year including "The Puzzle Lady" by Parnell Hall, "Cat in the Stacks" by Dean James and "Pendergast" by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child.

New series:
Molly Harper has two new series out. "Mystic Bayou" and "Southern Eclectic".
A new children's series I like is "Wizards of Once" by Cressida Crowell
"Girl From Everywhere" by Heidi Helwig
"Super Powereds" by Drew Hayes
"Illuminae Files" by Amie Caufman
"Maze Runner" by James Dashner

Stand Alone Books:
Didn't read many of these this year and the only one that really stands out is "Eliza and Her Monsters"

Favorite books revisited:

"Space Odyssey" by Arthur C. Clarke
"Robot" by Isaac Asimov 

Thumbs down to:

Only a couple that I really didn't like.
"Neuromancer" by William Gibson, winner of several awards and had great reviews. I just didn't care for it.
"Andrea Vernon and the Corporation for Ultrahuman Protection" by Alexander Krane sounded really good, but fell short.



No comments: